351 West Gibson Street, Jasper, Texas 75951
We welcome your call: (409) 384-2365
First Assembly Mission Statement
To be a body of believers regardless of their past, age, race, or income in Jasper, Texas in pursuit of Gods will. To be a church patterned after the New Testament church in the book of Acts. To proclaim the good news of Jesus Christ to our community and around the world. To be a place of worship,
for those who desire, the freedom to operate in the gifts of the spirit: a place of study to become more like our savior and show the same love, compassion, and forgiveness He exhibited while here on Earth. Learn more about our beliefs here
The History of the Assemblies of God
The Assemblies of God has a rich, but often little-known heritage. Learn about it on this short video spotlighting our history a glimpse into what our fellowship was like in decades past.
The General Council of the Assemblies of God (USA), one of the largest Pentecostal denominations in the United States.
We where first organized in 1914 by a broad coalition of ministers who desired to work together to fulfill common objectives, such as sending missionaries and providing fellowship and accountability.
We have a long history in Jasper. Early in 1946 a group of people in Jasper begin to hold bible study and prayer in their homes.
On March 5th of that year application was made for membership to the General Council of the Assemblies of God in Springfield, Mo.
The first Pastor was Rev. Virgel Griner with a congregation of 25.
Property was purchased for the new church on 109 east Othello Street in Jasper.
In 1948 Rev. E.D. Roach became the Pastor with his wife Wilma and their three children Donald, Billy and June. Bro. Roach built a new parsonage behind the church on 855 Fred St. In the mid 50's Rev. Bill Cox became Pastor and was instrumental in purchasing the land on 190 from a Mrs. Allan. Later the building was torn down on Othello St. and a new building on 190 was built with the lumber.
In 1966 Rev. J.C. Durham became Pastor with his wife Anita and their four children Becky, Randy, Danise and Jeffery. The church was bricked and air conditioned and new pews were purchased.
In 1977 Rev. A.G. Calaway became Pastor. The old parsonage on Fred St. was sold and fund was started to build a new one. In 1979 Bro. Calaway went to be with the Lord and Bro. J.C. Durham returned as Pastor.
Under the leadership of Bro. Durham, on his second term as Pastor, the new parsonage was built in 1980 and the new sanctuary was built in 1988.
Other Pastors were Rev. Eugene Labby, Rev. Modlin, Rev. Malin, Rev. Joe Callicott, Rev. Dub Williams, Rev. Pat Garret, and Rev. Mike Casey.
Sign Our Guest Book
Leave a Prayer Request or Comment
Jasper First Assembly of God ©
Church websites designed and maintained by
A vacant house was torn down in Brookland and the lumber was used to build the new sanctuary with an underground basement. The basement served as living quarters for the pastor and family. The building was dedicated on August 8,1946.